Saturday, June 15, 1974

1972 Suzuki 90cc Dual Range Street/Trail

Suzuki 90cc Dual Range Street/Trail 

This Suzuki was bought by my older brother new in 1972. It was my first introduction to motorcycles (up close). He spent most of the summer riding, and I really enjoyed looking at it every chance I could get.

That summer, it eventually came time for our family to move, but only across town. This meant the high school I started at was now history - after only 3 days! The change was due to the new house and school, We both were transferred to a newly built high school, and since we only were moving in another month, we both traveled together on this motorcycle.... with me as a passenger. My brother would ride to and from the new school each day for the month. It was 16 km round trip, (seemed longer in hindsight) while our family moved after that month. This was a great time being introduced to a motorcycle, and it was a pleasure to travel on a four-lane highway this way. Often we would see our fellow students on the buses as we sometimes passed them.

When we finally moved to the new location, it meant I had to take a bus to school. At the new house, it had a huge back yard, and there came a time the following summer, when my older brother would start allowing me to ride the Suzuki myself!  It was only minor riding in the field behind the house, but I enjoyed every minute. I wasn't going to pass up any chance I was given, and this continued for this and the next summer, and firmly planted the need to one day own my own bike.

After the second summer when I completed grade 11, I gained enough trust in my brother to have more riding privileges.  As my time increased, I soon began riding with my buddy Allen nearby. He had a street/trail Harley Davidson motorcycle, and we would go out together in the nearby field or the dirt. The two of us would ride together around "circuits" we created in the field.

With time, we graduated to riding the back gravel roads - farther each day.
One day, we drove out to a new location, then on the way back when I was following him, he made a strange left turn that I never expected. Since this was a total surprise, I didn't react properly, and instead of veering off to the right, I went straight then slightly left thinking I was going away from him.  Trying hard to not hit him, the left side of my bike fell to the ground before I went into the left side side of his Harley. The impact was quick and sudden - enough that I vaulted off my seat and into him.

After realizing what happened, we both "came to" and assessed the damage. There was very little damage to him and his bike. but I was a different story. I had a hard time to get upright after realizing I took the brunt of the collision. The bike handlebars were bent, the right engine had some parts broken off, and the front tire was bent. My body had some damage also - a foot that hit the other bike, a leg which fell against the exhaust and knee that drug in the dirt.

We attempted to pick up our bikes, then I hobbled around and I had to get my friend to start my bike (since my foot had a mind of it's own).  We then rode much slower back to our houses. I had a little farther to ride with the damaged bike, and after arriving home, I knew I had my father to deal with.  He of course was wondering what happened to me and what shape I was in. After checking with me, he looked at the motorcycle, and quickly assessed the damage as I vaguely summarized what happened.

I was taken to the local hospital and had x-rays, then a splint was put on my foot, and bandages to my calf and knee. I came out of the hospital on crutches to keep the weight off my foot for about 4 weeks.

After arriving back home, it wasn't long before we had to move again - this time east. Before long, we were saying goodbye to my brother - who was going to live with neighbourhood friends and he gave the motorcycle to my father.  When it was time to leave by car, there were 6 of us crowded in it, along with my crutches. We traveled east, and eventually arrived in Cabano, QC and stayed overnight in a motel.

The next day, we drove to our grandparents in NB. I was still in crutches as my father eventually drove me to NS at his parents' place - where it was time again for me to look after the berry fields....this time with crutches.

No comments:

Post a Comment